Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized by Pastor Edmund Reim in 1917 as a mission of Friedens Evangelical Lutheran Church, Kenosha. A rented chapel at Fremont & New streets (present-day 14th Avenue & 67th Place) was first utilized. Dedication services were held on 25 November of that same year. In 1921 the congregation was officially organized as Bethany Lutheran and a new church and school building was erected at 14th Avenue & 74th Street. This served them well until 1938, at which time the possibility of a new church was explored. A building fund was established for "future expansion" in 1941 and, four years later, relocation was under consideration. In January 1947, seven lots were purchased at the corner of 22nd Avenue and 75th Street and a new sanctuary was built in 1953-54 with Stekken & Kemp serving as architects. Dedication services were held on 14 March 1954. In March 1960 Steffen & Kemp prepared drawings for the new school building, which is located at the east end of the church parcel.
In 2005 Abiding Word Lutheran Church in Somers (founded in 1971) approached Bethany leaders with a proposal for a ministry partnership that would culminate in Bethany establishing a two-site congregation. The Kenosha campus, which includes the sanctuary and school, is located at 2100 75th Street. The Somers campus is located at 1520 Green Bay Road.
In December 2015 Bethany purchased 57 acres of land in Pleasant Prairie with an eye to building a new school and church facility in this growing area. Click here
to find out more.
For a more extensive retelling of Bethany's history, please click here