Public School Confirmation Class is a joint effort of Grades 7-8 students who do not attend Bethany Lutheran School, their parents, and the Bethany pastors. With the number of public school confirmation students Bethany has--and with family schedules varying so much--it has proven nearly impossible to find one day and time when every student can attend class.
As a result, lessons are not taught by the Bethany pastors in person. Instead online videos, prepared by former Bethany pastor, Rev. Kevin Hundley, take students through each lesson step-by-step. They provide explanations for each important teaching of the Bible and every part of the confirmation lessons. This in-home study allows students and their families to find a convenient time to work their way through each lesson independently.
This brief overview of the Public School Confirmation Class may not answer all your questions. Please feel free to contact Pastor Prange with any questions or concerns you might have about the program.
- The 2016-2017 Public School Confirmation Course Schedule is available here.
- A brief introductory meeting and material handout will take place after the 10:45 A.M. service on September 18.
- All lessons are to be completed by the Sunday due date. Students and their parents will meet with one of the Bethany pastors after the 10:45 A.M. Sunday service for each of the six unit reviews (October 23, December 4, January 15, February 19, March 19, & April 23).
- The online videos for the 2016-17 Public School Confirmation Course are available here.
- Students will be provided with a student workbook.
- Parents will be provided with a parent binder. The parent binder is essentially the teachers' guide, and it includes four sections: 1) a copy of Luther's Small Catechism, from which memory work will be assigned; 2) a leaders' guide to the student workbook with answers provided; 3) a complete set of quizzes for each lesson; 4) the answer key for each quiz
- Parents are expected to make sure that their child is watching the online videos and filling out the workbook. At the end of each lesson, parents are asked to go over the review section of the lesson to prepare their child for the lesson quiz. Once parents believes their child is ready for the quiz, they can administer it. Parents then correct the quiz. If they are confident their child understands the lesson, they can proceed to the next lesson.
- After each unit of lessons, students and their parents will meet as a group with one of the Bethany pastors to get any questions answered and to allow each student to complete a brief unit review so that the pastors can test the students' knowledge and understanding. The dates for these unit reviews are listed above.